Friday, August 24, 2007

Make your own DIY Sushi

The last couple of days I have had a powerful hankerin' for sushi, but I have also been rather financially limited. So tonight I made a rude gesture towards the surly teenage Asian waitresses and blind peasant woodsmen hacks at a certain Commercial Drive budget sushi establishment, I sharpened my knife, summoned my inner samurai, and I made my own delicious sushi.

I decided to make 3 kinds of vegetarian sushi because I also couldn't afford any deluxe fish. My trio of Japanese yumminess was comprised of miso roasted eggplant rolls, roasted yam with lettuce rolls, and good 'ol kappa maki (that's cucumber roll for all you Philistines out there). Hey ho, let's go!
Ingredients
4 cups of short grain sushi rice
enough water to cover using the Mount Fuji method

1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt

1 large yam peeled and sliced thinly lengthwise
1 Japanese eggplant sliced thinly lengthwise
1 cucumber, julienned
small lettuce leaves

2 tablespoons miso paste
2 tablespoons mayo
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 clove garlic crushed
Directions
Prepare rice using sushi method described here. Mix vinegar sugar and salt in small saucepan. Heat and stir until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle over rice, mix in, and fan to cool to room temperature.

Mix miso, mayo, oil, and garlic. Brush on yam and eggplant slices. Roast on cookie sheets in 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and tender. Let cool and julienne.

Roll sushi using cucumber, yam, lettuce, and eggplant as fillings using method described here.

Itadakimasu!

7 comments:

Heather said...

can i come over?? please!!!!

Chris Whitler said...

Yay, two veggie recipes! I'd like to try sushi and these are filled with the good things I can eat right now. Well, I've been suffering from the gout...yes gout. It is still possible to get the dreaded medevel curse...so I gotta lay off the meat. For a great taste of something gout causing, see my recent post...a recipe you may enjoy!

Q&L said...

I think I'll leave the sushi making to you, I like to cook new things, but right now that is beyond my level of expertise. I will try that corn recipe tho, sounds delish! Thx for posting again Wade!

Rick said...

Hi Wade,

I bought a Sushi Mold thingy at the PNE showmart, but from what I hear the ingredients for sushi are kinda expensive. Will give it a try someday though...

philter said...

i miss you man.

Mary said...

Dude-

I am so impressed...

djkilt said...

Hey guys,

thanks for all your comments, it is great to hear from you