Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Easy Crockpot Thai Chicken

The other day I was solo parenting and desperately needed to have an ace supper ready by the time I came home so that way I would not be subjected to the horrors instant of macaroni and cheese. As I was packing kid friendly snacks and putting on rain boots a flash of inspiration came to me and the Easy Thai Crockpot / Slow Cooker Chicken was born.

Ingredients:

1 pack Chicken thighs
1 onion, sliced
1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
1 handful crumbled sliced dried shitake mushrooms (optional)
1 can cheap beer
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 thumb ginger, chopped
1 fist cilantro stems, really chopped
1 sq inch of tamarind concentrate block
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Tom Yum paste
3 tablespoons cornstarch

Bang everything into your crockpot / slow cooker except for the cornstarch.  Put on low and let cook away all day.  Before serving add cornstarch to thicken liquid.  Serve with steamed rice and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.  My kids loved it and my parenting sanity was saved.  How can you go wrong with that?

No comments: