Wednesday, February 07, 2007

One Night In Bangkok

I haven't posted for a while and I apologize. So many of you checked out my last BBQ post and left wonderfully kind comments that allowed me to relive all the wonderful meals and memories that we have shared together. Thank you so much. (By the way, Knight TV hasn't called me yet.)

This last week has been insane. Our baby is due in 3 days and I am trying to get as much soap work done as possible before the joyous occasion. When I get really busy, sometimes I forget to eat. I know, it's stupid because I love eating! Somewhere in the insanity I whipped up the greatest Pad Thai ever made by a white guy.

I lost my Pad Thai virginity when I was 19. It was the first time I had ever been in Asia, and I spent an amazing 6 weeks in Bangkok that changed my entire world, and most importantly, my tastebuds forever (the 4 days straight of heartburn were worth it!) Of course, Thai food tastes best in Thailand and everything else just pales in comparison. Until you can save up enough pennies to get to the best eating in the world, this recipe will have to do.

A big sloppy kiss for anyone who knows who this dude is.

Ingredients

Sauce

1 oz tamarind paste
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup fish sauce
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice cooking wine
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 can tomato paste
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
juice and zest of 1 lime
2 stalks lemongrass smashed
5 kaffir lime leaves.

Stir fry stuff
1 pack rice stick noodles
chicken, cut to stir fryability
handful of shrimp
1 block firm tofu, cubed
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 huge thumb ginger
1 onion
4 green onions, chopped
2 eggs

Garnish
beansprouts
fist of cilantro, chopped
lime wedges
crushed peanuts

Soak noodles in plenty of cold water for at least 1 hour.

Combine tamarind paste with a 1/4 cup hot water in a small bowl and let soak for at least 15 minutes. Mash it and transfer the mud-like mixture to a strainer set into a bowl. Mash and push with a spoon, forcing liquid to strain into the bowl. Scrape off the juice that clings to the underside of the strainer. You will have about 5 tbsp of tamarind juice. Add to all the other sauce ingredients and simmer in small saucepan.

Heat oil in a wok. Add garlic, ginger and stir, letting it cook for about 30 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add onion, green onion, tofu and shrimps and stir-fry for 1 more minute. Break eggs into wok and let them fry without breaking them up for 1-2 minutes.

While eggs cook, quickly drain the noodles and then add to wok, giving them a quick fold, stir-frying for 1 minute from the bottom up. Continue stir-frying, mixing everything together for 1-2 minutes. Add all the sauce. Stir-fry for 30 seconds and take off heat.

Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with beansprouts, ground peanuts, and chopped cilantro. Stick a couple of lime wedges on the side and serve immediately.

Serve, eat, repeat.


4 comments:

Chris Whitler said...

Looks good Wade...I actually did a cooking school in Thailand this summer. Check out alotofthai.com

It was an awesome experience and I still cook all that stuff and more today. I make a mean fresh spring roll...or "salad" roll. My wife loves me...it was the best 90 baht I ever spent!

Aaron said...

Have you seen that commercial where the uppity/modern couple goes into the uppity/modern architectural firm and has the world-renowned architect design an entire house around a faucet they loved?

Follow me here, dude: The phrase "fist of cilantro" is your own bitchin' faucet. It hit me like a Canadian optician. There's something about that phrase that seems like it's all been boiled down. It's brash, it's fun, and it's part of something bigger and awesome.

I don't know, none of this may click with you at all, but, for me anyway, it typifies your whole vibe; for some reason it grabbed me...

Keep it up, dude.

Ryan said...

it must be you, with out dreads, and a shave, and you died your hair blonde. and your wearing a mask arent you? I knew it!!!!

Unknown said...

DUUUUDE...
we made the pad thai 2 nights ago and it turned out ggggreat. i loved it, and was so stoked that i could make something like that and have it turn out good. i think we'll be making it often (see reason 13 for "making it local" heh).
ok, seriously. it was great, and the phone-in tech support was helpful as well.