Monday, March 05, 2007

My New Favorite Restaurant

My birthday was on Sunday and due to babydom and my work schedule it passed almost without me knowing it, except for a fabulous breakfast and amazing espresso ice cream pie lovingly prepared by my foxy wife. So tonight I wanted to go for supper and I wanted it to be asiany and fabulous fresh and cheap and groovy and independent and family owned and Vancouver-y and within walking distance and I wanted my family to be the only white people in the establishment. Asking too much perhaps? Heck no!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I would like to announce that my new favorite restaurant is the...

Hollywood Cafe Restaurant
2128 East Hastings, Vancouver BC
604 251-3322
Open 7 days a week 11 a.m. - 11 p.m.

An online restaurant review is here. (Did I forget to mention that the review is mostly in Chinese? A very good sign of excellence if you ask me.)

The Hollywood specializes in Malaysian / Nonya / Hainanese food at amazing prices and huge portions in a clean family diner-type setting. How can you argue with that?

We ordered the Malaysian Dinner for 2. It was Roti Canai, Chicken Satay, Tom Yum Seafood Soup, Sweet and Sour Chicken, and Garlic Green Beans with Sambal Prawns and rice and dessert, and was it ever tasty... and cheap! Sophia loved everything and ate her face off. Joanna and I ate until we were stuffed and we took away a small container of leftovers. So three of us had a great meal all for $35 including tip.

Sophia partying down on the Malaysian feast.

For all my faithful readers who live in Vancouver, get over to this restaurant as soon as you can. Here is a map. For the rest of you, get on a plane to Vancouver as soon as you can and go to the Hollywood Cafe. Your transit directions from the airport are as follows...

Depart: 9:02a - VANCOUVER INTERNATL AIRPORT LEVEL 1
On route: 424 AIRPORT STN
Arrive: 9:08a - AIRPORT STN BAY 5

Transfer: 9:11a - AIRPORT STN BAY 1
On route: 98 BURRARD STN / B-LINE
Arrive: 9:35a - NORTHBOUND SEYMOUR ST AT W GEORGIA ST

Transfer: 9:37a - NORTHBOUND SEYMOUR ST AT DUNSMUIR ST
On route: 16 29TH AVE STATION
Arrive: 9:55a - EASTBOUND E HASTINGS ST AT LAKEWOOD DR

Joanna and Eleanor basking in the Combo-Meal-for-Two induced glow.

When you are done your meal, it is only a short 10 minute walk to our house to pop by for a quick post-birthday visit. And remember, meat and beer are always appropriate gifts.

p.s. I just answered my front door and Ang and Leigh just dropped off a birthday present of a package of pork ribs and some raw bacon... before I even uploaded this post. They are so cool!

8 comments:

Leanne said...

happy happy happy birthday! i miss you in all your coolness. wish we could hang out. hope you had a great one. p.s. i am not sending you meat as customs tends to have problems with that and it might be old and moldy by the time you get it. beer is much better in canada than here....so i will have to come up with something else. ;) hey, you guys are such a cute fam. ;)

philter said...

holy poop batman. I can't believe I missed your birthday. There will be a gift coming in the mail to you soon. i am at the theme thang right now in Montana. Hmmm, what can I get you that is local Montana? Free range chickens and bad beer on the way. Oh, and some cowboy coffee. Don't get me wrong, I love Montana, just not all the resources it produces.

hannah said...

wow. i would never have guess that the hollywood cafe would be good. interesting.

Ryan said...

I will always remeber your birthday 2005. where forever bluet, chilis, and sardines will never look the same.

You freaking rule man!!!

Anonymous said...

Wade! Happy birthday! Just so you know, we checked out the Hollywood Cafe shortly after you guys were there. Yummy in the stummy that's for sure. And dude, I want to ask you about the super rad music you have on here... did you do that? Cuz I seriously love it.

Angela Oliver said...

hey Wade
Ummm - I didn't realize it was the "hollywood cafe" you were going too
I think I've been there once.
A long while ago.
And I liked it.
So now, I guess since we so Lovingly ditched you on a very important occasion and tried to suck up with a good pound of meat, that we will have to take you there sometime as a peace offering.

Rick said...

Hi,

Sorry, but I didn't have enough Happy Birthday wrapping to wrap the pork roast in my freezer, so I got you something else instead. :)

Do you know any casserole recipes? :)

Ryan said...

Dude, I went there with stu and our buddy jim from spokane...

IT FREAKING RULES!!! Thanks for the great reccomendation!!!

serioulsy kick ass!